Rotating Banner Images

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Escape to Albany (Part Two: Oktoberfest)



We got there really early. I thought we hit it up at around noonish, but apparently I was an hour off. It was pretty empty, but I didn't mind. In fact, I liked it empty compared to what we encountered when we came back later in the day.

They were still setting up, and you could tell they were still trying to work all the kinks out. The bratwurst stand staff didn't seem very organized, but it was early. I had to give them the benefit of the doubt, because they had just opened and I figured as the day progressed everything would start to fall into place.

I'm not really a bratwurst connoisseur, but I thought it was good. It of course came with sauerkraut and the usual condiments. The curry sauce I doubt would fall into the "usual condiment" category, but it really went well with the bratwurst. M had the veggiewurst, but thought it tasted much better with sauerkraut (his didn't come with any).

Because it was still pretty early, I wasn't ready to drink beer just yet. We ate our food, listened to the German music and watched people play the beer dunking game. We stayed for about an hour before we left, but planned to check it again later in the day. On our way out I spotted Matt Baumgartner, to which I immediately thought, "OMG Matt Baumgartner! I read his blog! He's wearing lederhosen!"

When we got back later in the day, the place was packed. Unfortunately we didn't stay very long on our second visit because there were so many people (we ended up going to the Thatcher St. Pub around the corner), but it was great to see that there was a good turnout. Hopefully they do this again next year (with a few changes, but pretty much what was said in the comments on MB's blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment