Rotating Banner Images

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Pulutan: Garlic Fried Peanuts

Classes on Friday just.would.not.end. When I got home, I knew I needed to start the weekend right. What better way to start it off than an ice cold drink and some homemade snacks? I present to you in the Pulutan series: garlic fried peanuts.


You don't need a recipe, right? Pictures should suffice. I was finally able to find some raw peanuts at my local ethnic supermarket. 2 lbs should be enough.


I was going to use one of the larger pans, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the kitchen. Do with what you've got, right? Pour in the oil, I'm going to say I used about 1-1.5 cups of corn oil.

Smash and fry the garlic. I used one bulb of garlic for this batch. I kept the skins on, but you don't have to. If the cloves are really big, smash as thin as possible, to ensure it cooks through and will end up crispy when you're done. When the garlic starts to turn golden brown, remove and put on a dish covered with paper towels to absorb the oil.


Next, fry the peanuts. Because the pan was on the small side, I pretty much stayed by the stove and constantly stirring, so that all the nuts would fry evenly. As you can see/hear in the video, a renegade peanut or two shot out of the pan. Lots of popping noises, and the smell was wonderful.

When it looks like most of the peanuts have turned brown, add the garlic and cook for a few minutes more. Remove from the pan and spread out on a baking sheet covered with paper towels. Sprinkle with a generous amount of salt and sprinkle with crushed chili flakes if you want them spicy.


If you don't plan on finishing it that day, store in an air tight container.


Pulutan -garlic fried peanuts from Under the Copper Tree on Vimeo.

2 comments:

Albany Jane said...

Oh my gosh - I just saw some of these the other day and was wondering how good they were. This looks awesome. I can't wait to try this out! (And I've always wanted a good recipe for raw peanuts. Usually I just look at them and tilt my head in confusion)

Lilimonster said...

I'm eating some right now.

As you let them cool down, they'll start to crisp up.

Post a Comment