Rotating Banner Images

Monday, March 29, 2010

Party Snacks


Geez... talk about blog neglect! But I'm on vacation, so now I have more time to catch up. The other weekend we threw a big party for the March birthdays (me, my grandmother, my uncle, my aunt). And knowing my family, I was hesitant on making too much. Since my dad was making dinuguan, it was absolutely necessary to make puto.

This puto is the quick-fix style, using Bisquick. I really do plan on making it from scratch, but it's a matter of finding the right recipe. Most were plain, and just a dozen or so had cheddar cheese. Instead of using the small medicine cups, I used the silicone baking cups I got for Christmas. They worked great, and I should really buy more of those cups.


I always thought kutsinta would be a PITA to make. Turns out, it is as easy as making puto. And just like the puto, I used the silicone cups. However, the first batch I found that it was sticking to the cups. After tinkering around a bit, I found that if you wet the cups before adding the batter and then tossing them in a bowl of ice water led to easy removal.

FYI - toasting shredded coconut can be dangerous! Whatever they add to the coconut does not mix with an oven toasting. I opened the oven door and was overwhelmed with some fumes that burned my eyes. Not once, but twice... because I forgot on the second batch. But now I know. And now you know.

And knowing is half the battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment