Rotating Banner Images

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

21st Birthday @ Gilligans Clam Bar & Grill (Pomona, NY)

gilligans

I was too busy eating to actually take pictures (plus they kinda sucked). My uncles, on the other hand, took the time out to snap photos, like the one above.

I am feeling a whole lot older now- two of my cousins turned 21 this month! One of them celebrated this weekend by inviting the family to dinner at Gilligans. I’ve driven by this place plenty of times, but never actually ate there. I’ve heard from people… who in turn heard from people, that it was a good place. And it must be, because on a Sunday night (after 7) it was packed. For a party of 16, we must have waited for about 45 minutes before they would set up a table for us.

We started with two calamari appetizers, which were two pounds a piece. It was pretty darn good, and didn’t last long. Dinner ended up being six lobster dinners for two. SIX. Lobsters were good, but on the small side. Just a few clams, and tons of mussels. I split it with my mom, which meant she barely ate one lobster and left the rest to me. And I did finish all of it, although not in one sitting.


IMG_20100919_203919


For dessert, my aunt bought what I can only describe as a chocolate bombe cake. The cake was almost sponge cake-like, filled with whipped cream and fresh strawberries and bananas. It was frosted with whipped cream and coated in cake crumbs. The cake was light, and had just the right amount of richness. She bought it from B & W Bakery in Hackensack, NJ if you’re wondering.


IMG_20100919_185519

2 comments:

Albany Jane said...

Nice - I bet eating with your mom is a positive. I mean, lobster and all that? Is she a light eater?

Lilimonster said...

She's developed an allergy to shellfish. Fresh is fine, but if it was frozen, she's stays away.

Good for me, because that means more yumminess, but I sure hope I don't get the same problem.

Post a Comment