Rotating Banner Images

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Off the Hook Crab Cake Sandwich (Montvale, NJ)

DSC00425


It’s about that time of year when my weekends get hectic. Saturday I woke up early to get all my errands done before I headed over to New Jersey. Turns out things didn’t take as long as I thought they would, so with the extra time I decided to have lunch at DePiero’s.

I have written before about Off the Hook Seafood. Then I ordered the fish fry, which was pretty good. And that’s what I was going to go with. But there are other options, why go with something I’ve already tried? So I went with the crab cake platter. For $8.50 you get 2 crab cakes with french fries and coleslaw. A few minutes later I changed my order to a crab cake sandwich instead… and fries.

He must not have heard the fries part, because when my order was up, there was only the sandwich. When I mentioned that I had also ordered fries, the guy behind the counter gave me a look before turning around and frying up some more potatoes. If anyone from Off the Hook ever comes across this post – I’m not trying to get the guy in trouble. I’m just saying what happened.

Afterwards, I realized I should have just stuck with the platter. According to their board, both the platter and sandwich are being sold for the same price ($8.50). Fries are not included with your sandwich, and the same goes with coleslaw. An order of fries sets you back $2.50, and you get a good amount- but I ended up paying like 11 bucks for the two. I really didn’t think that through.

That bugged me for a bit, so I wandered around the store for a while to clear my head. On my way out I grabbed a drink and plantain chips. Went back to my car, and headed to the nearest park. It was a nice day, so why not have a picnic?

DSC00427 DSC00430


The sandwich was delicious. Served on a roll with lettuce, tomato, and mayo/tartar sauce. The crab cakes were fried, but it was light, and not at all greasy. Even the french fries weren’t greasy. Everything was just right.

Off the Hook, right now you’re batting a thousand in my book. The next time I go back (maybe this week) I will have to try that soft shell crab sandwich. I overheard one of the guys (I guess he’s runs it?) mention to a customer he still had some left and it was definitely something worth trying. I don’t have a fishmonger, but kind of got the impression that he would be a good one.

Off the Hook Seafood @ DePiero’s Country Farm
300 West Grand Avenue
Montvale, NJ 07645
201-391-4576

Open seven days a week 7:00 – 6:00

No comments:

Post a Comment