Rotating Banner Images

Monday, April 11, 2011

AOA 3.0/ Van’s (Albany, NY)

2011-03-23-18-59-02-914


Yeah, the party was weeks ago… but I figured I’d mention that I was there. For a quick second. I don’t do well being in a room of strangers, and I wasn’t in the mood to go up to random people and strike up conversation.

Besides, I really wanted some pho.

I know. I left a party with some tasty bites (and cupcakes!) to get more food.

What can I say… I’m an eater.

In the past, I was pro-Van’s. At one point, I was ordering from there two… three times a week. I talked the place up to friends, and encouraged them to go there for themselves to see just how good the food was.

But times have changed – I left the area, and came back. Instead of being a quick trip downtown, I would have to cross the river and do some highway driving to get my Vietnamese fix. And well, I’m never in Albany now, so stopping in has been relegated to when I’m in the area and in the mood for it.

Had I posted this at a more appropriate time, I would have blasted their service- it was atrocious, and I came in just for take out! One server in particular was annoyed that I asked about placing an order. She kept insisting she was too busy… even to hand over a menu which was right behind her. And even though she was too busy, she still had time to seat three parties that came in after me, and take their orders. Yes, I could have left, but there are no other options for Vietnamese in the area. So I put up with it, and tweeted away my anger.

I wasn’t feeling very hungry, so I just ordered pho, and vegetarian spring rolls and summer rolls for M. Once I actually placed my order, it wasn’t too long of a wait before it was brought out to me. I went back to my car and quickly drove home.

2011-03-23-21-45-35-172


The pho really hit the spot. Really can’t complain about it. I brought the leftovers to work the following day and it made my co-workers jealous with my awesome lunch.

2011-03-23-20-37-30-461


No complaints with the spring rolls. The one I ate I rolled up in a piece of romaine with mint and the pickled daikon and carrot. They need to give you more than four per order.

2011-03-23-21-23-15-278


The summer rolls started off well. Tasty as usual - julienned tofu, cucumber, herbs and rice noodles… 

and hair.

hair


At first, I thought it was mine, but on closer inspection the hair was wrapped into the roll. No thank you. I mentioned it to M and his response?

“Well… did you finish it?”

No, I didn’t. I left it there so he could see, and after pulling the hair out, he ate it anyway. He proceeded to finish the summer rolls, and surprise surprise… another roll with hair in it.

I’m disappointed, Van’s. I don’t think I’ll be going back anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment