Rotating Banner Images

Thursday, February 05, 2009

The Nanuet Restaurant (Nanuet, NY)

 

As a thank you for taking my cousin to the DMV this afternoon, my uncle treated us to dinner at the Nanuet Restaurant. Interestingly enough, the town of Nanuet is home to three of the better known pizza places in the area, all on the same road (Middletown Road to be precise).


The pictures are a bit dark, but you can see that the decor is nothing more than cluttered walls and formica tables. The restaurant has been around for about 50 years, and it shows. Behind the bar is a wall of hats that appeared to have been signed. I am unaware of their significance at this time, so finding out would be a good reason to go back. The dining area is one big open room with a partition separating the bar from the rest of the room.

 
 

We ordered the Pizzafest special, which is a large pizza, family sized salad, and garlic bread. The bread and the salad came out together, and that was about twenty minutes after we had sat down. With most of these pizza places (Nanuet Restaurant, Nanuet Hotel, Kinchleys) you're going to be waiting as the food slowly comes out. My uncle and cousin ate most of the garlic bread, and both agreed it was good. The small piece I was able to rip off before they finished, was warm, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. It had just the right amount of butter and garlic.

The salad at first seemed to be on the small side, but looking back it was probably the right size. It was mostly iceberg lettuce with a handful of thickly cut onion rings, a few tomato wedges, and two (that's right TWO) slices of green bell pepper. I shouldn't even call it a slice- it was a big chunk. This salad was poorly made, and I hope this is not how it normally is.

The highlight, of course, was the pizza. The large pizza is an eight cut, we were able to finish two slices each. It looks like it's not alot, but it is filling. We added pepperoni and meatballs to ours, and it is good to see that they do not skimp on the toppings. My personal preference is that meatballs should be crumbled on top of a pizza, and not sliced and thrown on there. That just shows laziness. I tried a bit of the meat apart from the pizza and was dismayed when I discovered the meat had zero flavor.

The taste of the pizza, I'm sorry to say, reminded me of the frozen stuff I'll buy from time to time. It's the crust. Unlike the doughy crust of Red Front, Nanuet Restaurant pizza has a flaky crust. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying it reminds me of frozen pizza. My uncle and cousin liked it and were already talking about visiting again. I'll give it another shot, but I may just order pasta.

Dinner for three (including two sodas) came out to $30.00 with tip.

The Nanuet Restaurant
211 South Main Street (Middletown Road)
Nanuet, NY 10954
845-623-7717

Hours: Tu-Su 11:00AM - 11:00PM (Closed Monday)

http://nanuetrestaurant.com/index.htm

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Awh, I was thinking that the pizza would turn out scrumptious. Sorry to hear about the poor salad and not-so great pizza.

Matt said...

that is one cheap dinner for three. i dunno if we can make it all the way out to nanuet for lunch. is it worth it?

Sophia Lee said...

how can anyone mess up salad?

Lilimonster said...

They are a bit slow, so take out might be a better option. I wasn't that big a fan of the pizza. I actually like Kinchley's better.

As for messing up a salad... you would think it can't happen, but it does. Execution was horrific. I would be embarrassed if I sold a salad like this.

Post a Comment